Just in time for Peach season!!!!
The loveliness of lavender gives a truly unique flavor to peach jam. Add lavender buds for extra bursts of flavor.
MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP
2 cups peeled fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
2 tablespoons fresh or dried lavender buds
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate, thawed
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Slice peeled peaches as thinly as possible.
2. Combine lavender and water in a small saucepan; bring to boil. Remove from heat, cover and steep 5 minutes. Pour liquid through a wire-mesh strainer into a measuring cup. Reserve liquid and lavender buds.
3. Combine peaches, apple juice concentrate, honey, lemon juice, vanilla extract and reserved lavender liquid in a nonstick skillet. Add 1 teaspoon steeped lavender buds, if desired.
4. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 5 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly and mashing peaches with the back of a spoon until mixture becomes the consistency of jam.
5. Refrigerate jam in a bowl for about 1 hour until chilled. Conduct taste test and make corrections, if needed.
TIP: To prepare fresh peaches, wash and score an x on blossom end of peach. Plunge into rapidly boiling water for about 1 minute. Quickly transfer to bowl of ice water. Peel and pit.